- 1.5 lb breakfast sausage (or any sausage mix)
- 8 strips bacon
- 4 oz cheese, cut into small cubes or shredded
- 8 hot dog buns
- Optional condiments like mustard or ketchup
- It's best to prepare the sausage in advance, 1-2 hours before cooking to allow the shape to firm in the fridge.
- Prepare a clean board, and have the ground sausage, bacon and cheese ready to assemble into sausages.
- Taking a handful of sausage (about half a cup), press it into a rectangle shape on the board, no wider than the buns you are using. Layer a row of cheese in the middle, and pinch together both sides of the sausage to seal it in, making sure to seal the ends, too. If the sausage gets too sticky, you can use a little water on your fingertips.
- Roll the formed sausage in bacon, starting at one end and twisting until covered. Lay on a plate and repeat with remaining ingredients until all 8 dogs are formed.
- Cover and place the plate in the fridge for at least an hour to make sure the shape holds.
- Heat a grill using the two-zone method.
- Lay the sausages on the cool side of the grill, and cook for 10-12 minutes, turning occasionally. This step allows the sausage to cook thoroughly without burning the bacon.
- Transfer the sausages to the direct heat, and cook turning every 2-3 minutes until bacon is crisp.
- Remove sausages from grill and place in buns, finish with condiments if desired. Allow them to cool a few minutes before eating, as the cheese inside will be extremely hot.
Recipe and photo courtesy: Jess Pryles