Smoked Mac & Cheese•
Posted on February 18 2020
2-1/2 cups half and half, plus more if needed
8 oz cream cheese, cut into cubes
5 tbsp butter, chilled, plus more for coating cast iron
1 tsp dry mustard
1 tsp hot sauce, or more to taste
3/4 tsp black pepper
16 oz elbow macaroni
1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
1 1/2 cups smoked mozzarella or gouda cheese, shredded
1 cup panko breadcrumbs
2 tbsp melted butter
- When ready to cook, set temperature to 180℉ and preheat, lid closed for 15 minutes. For optimal flavor, use Super Smoke if available.
- For the Sauce: Combine the half and half, 4 Tbsp chilled butter, cream cheese, hot sauce, dry mustard, and black pepper in a large 12” well-seasoned cast-iron skillet.
- Place the skillet on the grill grate, uncovered, and smoke the mixture for 30 minutes. Remove the sauce from the grill and whisk until smooth.
- Increase the grill temperature to 350℉ and preheat, lid closed for 15 minutes.
- While the sauce smokes, cook the pasta 1-2 minutes less than the package directions call for in a large pot of salted, boiling water. The pasta will continue to cook on the grill.
- Drain pasta, rinse with cold water, drain again, and return to the pot. Toss the cooled pasta with the shredded cheeses.
- Pour the smoked sauce over the pasta and cheese, folding gently into the cooked pasta.
- Coat the inside of a cast-iron skillet with 1 Tbsp chilled butter and pour macaroni and cheese into the buttered skillet smoothing the top.
- Combine breadcrumbs with 2 Tbsp melted butter and sprinkle over the top of macaroni.
- Place the mac and cheese directly on the grill grate and bake until it is browned and bubbling--about 30-40 minutes.
*Cook times will vary depending on set and ambient temperatures.
SMOKED STANDING RIB...
The smoker prep for this recipe is specifically for torpedo-style smokers, but can be adapted to other smokers. Tender and delicious!!Read More
SAVORY GRILLED HALL...
Never had grilled Halloumi? Now there's no excuse! This recipe would be fantastic with your favorite herb infused olive oil, too. Just don't add ...Read More
Fresh Grilled Pinea...
Excellent with fish, chicken or pork, this salsa is a fresh and delicious addition to your grilling repertoire. You might just find yourself eatin...Read More