- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup fresh Asian pear juice or puree (optional)* (Making 1/4 cup of juice requires about 1/4 to 1/2 of an Asian pear. Use a juicer or blender or finely grate the pear and squeeze to extract the juice.)
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 2-3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1-2 scallions, chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds
- Pinch freshly ground black pepper
(optional add ins: hot pepper flakes to taste, 1/2 tablespoon fresh lime juice or a few dashes of sriracha)
- Combine all ingredients in a small bowl. Taste and adjust quantities, if desired.
- Use sauce to marinate any meat you choose (beef short ribs are our favorite). Place the protein in a shallow dish or zip-top bag and coat evenly with marinade. Marinate for at least 2 hours and up to a day, turning at least once.
Recipe courtesy: Emily Han @kitchn