- 2 pound Tri-Tip Beef Roast
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon coarse ground pepper
- Preheat smoker to 225 degrees using a fruit wood like apple or even oak.
- Cover the tri tip in olive oil. Combine the salt and pepper and sprinkle over tri tip liberally. Don't be afraid to get a nice crust on there with a general coating of the rub.
- Place tri-tip on smoker unwrapped for 60-90 minutes. Cook until internal temperature reaches 125 – 130 degrees F for rare and remove.
- Wrap tri-tip in foil and let rest for 15 minutes. Optional: place in a cooler (with NO ice) to keep warm for anywhere from 30-60 minutes. This will continue the cooking process another 5 degrees. Further I have found that it makes the cut extremely tender as the juices slowly redistribute into the meat.
- Cut across the grains in thin strips and serve with favorite sides, like smoked collard greens, or top with chimichurri sauce.
I used the recipe today with my smoker and it turned out excellent ! Simple and very easy! One of the best tri tips I have had . The only thing I did different is I reverse seared after it hit 110 degrees then I wrapped it in foil.